Tag: movable type

  • Blocking spam referrers

    I’ve noticed through my website statistics program (I use Mint, thankyouverymuch), and I’ve noticed a couple of referrers that are suddenly referring a ton of hit to my website. I as curious what I did to attract these guys, so I peeked in my Apache logs a bit, and headed over to their website to […]

  • I hate web spam…

    I really hate web spam. Since I used to run [Movable Type](http://www.sixapart.com/movabletype) here, lots of spammers used to hit up /mt/mt-tb.cgi and /mt/mt-comments.cgi to try to auto-spam my blog. I’ve been running [Wordpress](http://www.wordpress.org/) for (checks archives) nearly 3 months now, and I’m still seeing it. Today, I was checking out my [Mint](http://www.haveamint.com/) statistics, and I […]

  • Tagging for WordPress

    So, as I mentioned, I’ve been working on upgrading the blog to WordPress this past week. Everything went off without a hitch, or so I thought. See, I installed [Jerome’s Keywords 1.9](http://vapourtrails.ca/wp-keywords) to manage my tagging. Well, all was working well until I started receiving comments on the blog. As comments came in, tags from […]

  • From MT to WP

    Well, I’ve been fiddling with WordPress for a while, and tonight I’ve bit the bullet and made the switch from Movable Type to WordPress. Since I had a heck of a time finding one site that had all the right steps, I’ve decided to document it here for posterity. My biggest challenge was that I […]

  • Movable Type Tags – Simplifying Search URLs

    So now that Movable Type supports Tags, I'm going to have to re-architect the way I've done my categories. I wanted to make this work a little more like Technorati with their tag search, where you can just go type in www.technorati.com/tags/[tag of interest]. With a little searching on the web, I found this page […]

  • Blog ugly for a while – upgrade in process

    I'm in the middle of updating the blogs back-end to Movable Type 3.31 and I've come across a potential bug that I'm trying to resolve. In the meantime, the blog will be, well, ugly.

  • New Stuff on the Site

    Added a Book Queue over there on the right ( powered by MTBookQueueToo and MTAmazon ) and finally have a dynamically created Blogroll (powered by a beta of MT Blogroll, which doesn't have a homepage yet.) Oh, and Jeff pointed this out today online. Pretty damned sweet — a genetic sequence browser for various species' […]

  • MT Upgrade Woes

    Well, after another MT upgrade this last week, I broke the install again with the Storable module's breaking with regard to 56-bit vs. 64-bit storage (I think — I plan to research this more later today..). Every time I upgrade, I forget to patch lib/MT/PluginData.pm, so I figured I'd document the required steps here, as […]

  • MTOtherBlog Failure

    Well, since upgrading to MT 3.0D, MTOtherBlog has failed, as some of you may have noticed by my Static Categories list vanishing off the right. Guess I need to drop a note to the MTOtherBlog author; hopefully s/he's not one of the people bailing on MT since the 3.0 licensing brouhaha. UPDATE: Yep, it's official, […]

  • movable type 3.0D

    Brad Choate sums up the new Movable Type licensing methods pretty well in a post over at his blog. I've done the upgrade. Quite painless coming from 2.661, and the Plugins Manager even works with it.