Well, hello there fine people of the internet.
It’s been a bit over 6 years since my last post; nearly 9 years since my last post that wasn’t really a situation update on the blog.
A few things have happened since then, mostly well discussed on Facebook or other media. Some highlights:
- Generated offspring
- Acquired a few vintage Volkswagens
- Acquired many new hobbies: ham radio (w7pwn), 3D printing, skiing
- Ditched some hobbies: photography, astronomy
- Sold a house; bought a house
- Travelled a bit (some fun, some work, some work that was fun)
- Changed jobs a few times
But now I have a new project that will take a while to complete, and something that might be of remote interest to readers.
I’m making an Enigma machine.
For as long as I can remember, I’ve held a fascination with the Enigma machine. With the rise of 3D printing, I’ve realized I can have a full-size one in plastic.
- 3D model each component in Fusion 360 (this is probably the part where I disclose I don’t know anything about 3D modeling, so I’ll be learning as I go)
- Print each part
- Adjust the 3D model to deal with the tolerances my 3D Printer can do (Prusa i3 Mk2S)
- Assemble It
Stretch goals (how corporate):
- Get the electrical side of it working, which would require some customer copper pieces and finding some (likely) obscure electrical connectors
- Build a wooden box matching with the original
- Build the upper frame skins out of sheet metal
- Get someone else to do the same thing so I theoretically could actually communicate with someone
- USB HID Keyboard interface to it?
This is gonna be a long and slow ride. Just like everything else with this blog…