So, the last few days I’ve been posting about my lack of success in getting my phone SIM unlocked so I can use it while traveling internationally. Well, as of yesterday, I’ve made a fair amount of progress. Let me back up for a moment.
When I started all of this, I had an Audiovox SMT5600. After I made [the original call](http://www.marius.org/2007/01/03/cingular_sim_unlock.php) to Cingular to request an unlock code for it, I started shopping for a new phone. The phone I was interested in (Cingular 8525) was back-ordered for quite some time, or so I was told, so I wasn’t worried about it. Well, the Cingular store got one in just a few days after my original request, and I went and picked one up. I expected, since the SIM request process was already underway, that the SIM unlock would be for my old phone — this is what I wanted anyway. Who wants to lug a brand-new expensive phone while traveling when you can tote around the old beater that works?
So, fast-forward a few days to where I had to [re-request the SIM unlock code](http://www.marius.org/2007/01/10/cingular_sim_unlock_the_story_continues.php). By this point, I had my new phone, Cingular’s records had my new IMEI number, and I was curious what would happen. I assumed (and we all know what happens when you do that) that the Customer Service Rep would basically re-submit my old request, which I assumed (there’s that word again) had my old phones IMEI number.
You can probably see where this is going.
I got an email from Cingular’s system today with the unlock code. For my new phone. So, I’m now the proud owner of a week-old and unlocked Cingular 8525. I want the 5600 unlocked, so I’m going to go down to the local Cingular store, explain my situation, and see if the guys there can help.
Oh well. This is progress!